Great storytelling reaches people in the heart — and it must come from your heart. Fran helps clients discover and articulate what they really want to say. She listens deeply, reflects honestly on what she hears, and helps teams of all sizes synthesize distinct voices and views into coherent high-impact narratives.
Fran Smith Media is driven to deliver, through four areas of service.
A strong strategic story is fundamental for the growth and success of any organization. This story is about more than what you do. It’s about why the work matters to you and to the world. A strategic story unites ideas and passion in a human narrative. Whether you’re talking to your staff, your board or potential donors, clients or fans, your strategic story rallies people around shared values and a sense of common purpose.
Many organizations work tirelessly to do good in the world but they struggle to describe their work clearly and persuasively. Fran uses a structured, tailored process that guides leaders and teams to find the right words, the right context and the right voice.
Crafting a strategic story allows you to see your strategy — its strengths and holes — with new clarity. It helps you figure out exactly who your audiences are and what you want to ask them to do to support and advance your organization’s mission. The process is empowering, enlightening and fun.
Writing & Editing
Fran writes, edits and produces outstanding content for multiple platforms. This frees you up to focus on your core work. She’s fast and she meets deadlines.
Here’s what she can do for you:
- Develop a strong voice for all external communications, from reports to op-eds to social media.
- Ghostwrite, co-write or edit articles, opinion pieces, policy reports, book proposals, book chapters, books, web content, and multimedia presentations that are true to your voice, goals and mission.
- Create editorial management plans, guidelines and calendars for greater accountability and efficiency.
- Oversee all aspects of editorial production for outstanding quality and on-time delivery.
- Fran can call upon top-notch strategic partners for graphics, design and video projects.
- Writing coaching. Fran works with you to hone your craft and achieve your writing goals. Think of her as your thought partner, editor, task master — whatever it takes to help you create writing you’re proud of. Coaching available for individuals, writing duos and groups. In your office, in your home, on the phone or via video chat.
- Editor training. The craft of editing requires a deep understanding of story and language. The art of editing requires a deep understanding of writers. Our training programs embrace the overlap between the technical and psychological dimensions of editing. One-on-one training and group workshops tailored to your level of experience.
- Media and presentation coaching and training. The first time you hear your presentation should not be when you deliver it. Fran offers one-on-one coaching to people who want to prepare for a speech or press interview or who want to master public speaking and storytelling skills. She also offers half-day and full-day presentation and media workshops for groups.
Milly Hawk Daniel
Vice President for Communications, PolicyLink
Fran draws on an extensive network of seasoned communication professionals to assist you in hiring and developing in-house editorial staff or freelance writers, editors, designers, photographers and multimedia producers. Staffing help is available for short- and long-term projects.